What is FCR?

Foreign Credential Recognition (FCR) is the process of verifying that the education and job experience obtained in another country are equal to the standards established for Canadian workers.

In 2011, over 50,000 skilled immigrants were issued PR status because of their education, work experience and knowledge of English. Their goal is to succeed and put their skills to work in Canada. However, to do so, many of these skilled immigrants must undergo the process of foreign credential recognition.

Depending on whether your education and/or work experience are regulated or non-regulated, the length of time and the cost of the FCR process will vary.

Regulated Professions & Trades 

A regulated profession or trade is one that is governed by a provincial, territorial or sometimes federal authority, in which certain entry requirements and standards of practice are used to assess the qualifications and certify, register or license an individual as a qualified applicant. Therefore, you must have a licence, certificate or be registered with the regulatory body before you start practising your in trade or profession.

Approximately 20% of professions or trades are regulated in Canada. Regulated occupations include nurses, doctors, engineers, teachers, accountants and electricians. These individuals must complete the foreign credential recognition process, which consists of four basic steps before they have an opportunity to secure employment in their profession or trade.

Non-Regulated Professions

A non-regulated profession does not require that you have a licence, certificate or registration before you practise, however, further training or examination may be beneficial. For instances, Pharmacy Assistants and Medical Office Assistance are non-regulated professions. However, training will help individuals learn the Canadian standards and proper procedures in completing their daily tasks. It is often an asset for potential applicants to obtain training to non-regulated profession.

For more information about Regulated Professions & Trades and Non-Regulated Professions, please go to Professional Associations.